Unidentified Orvieto pottery, pottery, probably, Italy, Umbria, Orvieto
The fleur-de-lis occurs on medieval maiolica as a heraldic device on shields, or as an independent decorative motif. It was associated with the house of Anjou whose arms were azure semé-de-lis or differenced by a label of five points gules, and it would therefore have been an acceptable decorative motif on pottery used by Orvieto's Guelphs led by the Monaldeschi. However, its frequent use on Orvieto pottery during the late thirteenth, and fourteenth, century more probably reflects the fact that it was a charge on the shield of the Farnese (who were closely associated with Orvieto from the early twelfth century), and on those of the Montemarte, Marsciano, and Dolci families of Orvieto. When the complete arms are not shown, the fleur-de-lis is usually single so it is not possible to associate it with a specific family. The motif also occurs on maiolica from Lazio.
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1375
late 13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica jug, painted in black and green, with on the front a fleur-de-lis.
Earthenware. The interior, lower part, and base are lead-glazed brown; the rest is tin-glazed greyish-beige. Painted in black and copper-green.
Shape 11. Bulbous body with disk base, cylindrical neck, carinated rim, pinched spout and loop handle of D-section.
On the front there is a green fleur-de-lis outlined in black.
lead-glazing; interior, base; and lower part
lead-glaze; interior, base; and lower part
high-temperature colours; decoration; black and copper-green
earthenware: the interior, lower part, and base are lead-glazed brown, the rest is tin-glazed greyish-beige.; painted in black and copper-green.
height, whole, 17.0, cm
diameter, base, 8.5, cm
diameter, body, 10.7, cm
width, handle to spout, 13.7, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Signor Avvocato Marcioni or Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli; Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914, Catalogue of the collections of early Italian pottery formed by Signor Avvocato Marcioni and Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli of Orvieto, lot 71 (1). William Ridout; Christie's, 13 December 1938, part of lot 105; H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Ridout, William; previous owner
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
label; printed in blue and inscribed in blue-black ink; 'WILLIAM RIDOUT COLLECTION' printed in blue, 'O/51.' in blue-black ink; circular with blue border
label; inscribed in pencil; 105/18; brown tie-on
inscription; on base; inscribed in pencil; 71
packing number; EURCER 900; Allocated by Wendy Rose when object left Maidenhead; 1989
Honey, William Bowyer. Ridout, F. U.. 1934. A Catalogue of the Collection of Italian and other Maiolica, Mediaeval English Pottery, Dutch, Spanish and French Faïence, and other Ceramic Wares, formed by William Ridout of London and Toronto.London: p. p. 14
Publ. p. 14, O.51.
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. pp. 30-1
Publ. pp. 30-1, no. 43
Satolli, Alberto. Le vecchie collezioni di ceramica orvietana medievale.
Source Title: Vasellari, Rivista di storia della tradizione ceramica(1997)
p. p. 14
Publ. p. 114, no. 54
Object Number: C.50-1991
(record id: 47481; input: 2002-05-10; modified: 2017-01-19)