Unknown, pottery, Umbria, Orvieto
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
fragment of a two-handled cup
circa 1250 1350
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica two-handled cup, painted in manganese and green with, on the inside, a leaf.
Earthenware. Tin-glazed pale beige on both sides; base unglazed. Painted in dark manganese (almost black) and copper-green.
Shape 21. Approximately a third of a bowl with carinated sides, narrow foot and one handle of oval section.
Inside, within part of two manganese circles, there is a leaf decorated with two lozenges, surrounded by hatching; on the rim a green band, and, on the outside, a green band and a green spot on the handle.
tin-glazing; whole; base unglazed
tin-glaze; whole; base unglazed
high-temperature colours; decoration; dark manganese and copper-green
earthenware: tin-glazed pale beige on both sides, base unglazed; painted in dark manganese (almost black) and copper-green.
height, whole, 4.6, cm
diameter, foot, 4.0, cm
width, edge of foot-handle, 6.1, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 50
Publ. p. 50, no. 75
Object Number: C.102-1991
(record id: 47827; input: 2002-05-17; modified: 2012-10-10)