Unidentified Orvieto pottery, pottery, probably, Italy, Umbria, Orvieto, probably Orvieto
It seems likely that this ewer was made in Orvieto, as it can be seen (with a cover) in a photograph in the Biblioteca Comunale, Orvieto which shows medieval maiolica in the collection of Cavaliere Capitano Ferdinando Lucatelli c. 1909. (Documentation, Satolli, 2003, Ricetti, 2010). However, an example in the Cora collection at the MICF (Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche, Faenza) has been attributed to Viterbo.
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1350
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica ewer with ox-head spout, painted in manganese and green with leaf, cross-hatching, lines, stripes and S hook decoration in panels.
Pale buff earthenware. The interior and lower part are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the base is unglazed, and the rest is tin-glazed pale beige. Painted in manganese and copper-green.
Shape 16, but with ox-head spout. Elongated piriform body with small pedestal foot, narrow neck with flat rim, ox-head spout and narrow strap handle with a longtitudinal ridge.
The main field is divided by horizontal and vertical green and manganese stripes into three panels, each containing a leaf reserved in a cross-hatched ground. The handle is flanked by manganese S hooks between two sets of three vertical lines. Above and below are two horizontal manganese bands; on the neck, a green chain with three manganese bands above; and on the handle, seven horizontal stripes of alternate colours.
lead-glazing; interior, lower part
lead-glaze; interior, lower part
high-temperature colours; decoration; manganese and copper-green
pale buff earthenware: the interior and lower part are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the base is unglazed, and the rest is tin-glazed pale beige; painted in manganese and copper-green.
height, whole, 22.1, cm
diameter, foot, 8.3, cm
diameter, body, 12.0, cm
width, handle to spout, 17.1, cm
bequeathed; 1991-04-29; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Cavaliere Capitano Lucatell, Orvieto by 1909; Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914, Catalogue of the collections of early Italian pottery formed by Signor Avvocato Marcioni and Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli of Orvieto, lot 51. Purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950; transferred from the Reitlinger Trust, 1991
inscription; on the base; inscribed in pencil; 51; Lot number in the Marcioni-Lucatelli sale, Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914
packing number; EURCER 451; Allocated by Wendy Rose when object left Maidenhead; 1989
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 39
Publ. p. 39, no. 56
Bojani, Gian Carlo. Ravanelli Guidotti, Carmen. Fanfani, Angiolo. 1985. Museo Internazionale delle Ceramiche in Faenza, la donazione Galeazzo Cora, ceramiche dal medioevo al xix secolo, I.Milan: p. p.89
Cf. p. 89, no. 200. An example of a similar ewer in the MICF, attributed to Viterbo.
Riccetti, Lucio. 2010. 1909 Tra Collezionismo e Tutela, Connoisseur, antiquari e la ceramica medievale orvietana.Perugia: Regione Umbria
Publ. p. 437, 6.14.1, La collezione Lucatelli nel 1909, Orvieto, Biblioteca Comunale, centre of third row
Satolli, Alberto. Tra vendite e traffici di primo Novecento. Un mancato acquisto di Ernst Steinmann di ceramiche orvietane medievali.
Source Title: Vascellari: Rivista di storia della tradizione ceramica 1 (2003) : 164-
Publ. p. 186, fig. 14, a photograph in which is can be seen in the third row, centre, with cover.
Object Number: C.66-1991
(record id: 47597; input: 2002-05-13; modified: 2017-04-11)