Unknown, pottery, probably, Umbria, Orvieto, probably Orvieto
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1350
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica ewer, painted in manganese and green with two shields on the front.
Earthenware. The interior and foot are lead-glazed yellowish-brown; the rest of the original fabric is tin-glazed off-white. Painted in manganese and copper-green.
Shape approximately 14. Globular body on a pedestal foot, the neck, spout and upper part of the handle restored; the lower part of the handle has a longtitudinal ridge and runs down the body before terminating.
The front is decorated with two shields separated by cross-hatching and foliage, two pieces of which are held by hands. Below are small panels containing alternately cross-hatching and a leaf reserved in cross-hatching; above, panels containing alternately cross-hatching and a rosette reserved in cross-hatching. On each side of the handle, there are horizontal S hooks between two sets of three vertical lines, and, round the lower part, two manganese bands. The bottom of the handle is chequered with stripes of alternate colours, and, below it, there is a green brush stroke resembling a 2.
lead-glazing; interior, foot
lead-glaze; interior, foot
high-temperature colours; decoration; manganese and copper-green
earthenware: the interior and foot are lead-glazed yellowish-brown, the rest of the original fabric is tin-glazed off-white; painted in manganese and copper-green.
height, whole, 31.5, cm
diameter, foot, 10.9, cm
diameter, handle to front, 17.5, cm
height, detached neck, 13.0, cm
height, detached handle, 8.4, cm
bequeathed; 1950; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Signor Avvocato Marcioni or Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli; Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914, Catalogue of the collections of early Italian pottery formed by Signor Avvocato Marcioni and Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli of Orvieto, lot 59 & pl. IV. Purchased from Kerin, London, on 9 December 1933 by H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
This jug has been dismantled since it was illustrated in the Marcioni--Lucatelli sale catalogue in 1914. The tall slender neck (Cat. no. 53A, C.60A-1991), and the upper part of the handle, which is striped differently from the lower part and is probably not the original (Cat. no. 53B, C.60B-1991), have been replaced.
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950
label; inscribed in indelible pencil; 724; oval with gold edge
inscription; on the base; inscribed in pencil; 59
Mission Impossible? Ethics and Choices in Conservation. 2006-07-01 - 2006-09-24
Organiser: The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (Cambs.), UK
Venue: The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (Cambs.)
Notes: See Documentation
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. p. 36-7
Publ. pp. 36-7, no. 53
The Fitzwilliam Museum. 2006. Mission Impossible? Ethics and Choices in Conservation, Brief Guide.Cambridge (Cambs.): The Fitzwilliam Museump. 9
Publ. unpaginated p. 9, with incorrect text statement that the made up areas were done after accessioning by the Museum.
Satolli, Alberto. Le vecchie collezioni di ceramica orvietana medievale.
Source Title: Vasellari, Rivista di storia della tradizione ceramica(1997)
p. p. 34
Publ. p. 34, no. 59
Object Number: C.60-1991
(record id: 47551; input: 2002-05-10; modified: 2012-10-10)