Unidentified Orvieto pottery, pottery, probably, Italy, Umbria, Orvieto
Globular ewers with tall necks and pedestal feet were made in Umbria, Lazio, and Tuscany from at least the early fourteenth century. A jug of this type is shown in a predella of the 'Marriage at Cana' from Duccio's 'Maesta', which was completed in 1311 and is now in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Siena. A ewer of similar form is in the Museo dell'Opera dell'Duomo, Orvieto. Others have been found in the vault of the refectory of the Convent of San Francesco at Assisi (Umbria), the vault of the loggia of the Town Hall at Montalcino (Tuscany), and at Tuscania (Lazio).
tin-glazed earthenware; maiolica
circa 1275 1350
13th Century; 14th Century; Medieval
Late Medieval maiolica ewer, painted in manganese and green with leaves, Vs, oblique strokes and lines.
Pale yellowish-buff earthenware. The interior, and exterior of the foot are lead-glazed brownish-yellow; the base is unglazed, and the rest is tin-glazed off-white. Painted in manganese and copper-green.
Shape 14. Globular body on pedestal foot, with cylindrical neck flaring towards the trilobate mouth, and loop handle running down the body at the lower end.
The front is decorated with green Vs and three black-outlined leaves, each containing a smaller green leaf with a hatched centre. The handle is flanked by oblique strokes between two sets of three vertical lines. Below are two black horizontal bands; on the neck, two black bands, spaced lanceolate leaves, and a green chain between pairs of black bands; and on the handle, seven horizontal stripes in alternate colours.
lead-glazing; interior, foot
lead-glaze; interior, foot
high-temperature colours; decoration; manganese and copper-green
pale yellowish-buff earthenware; the interior, and exterior of the foot are lead-glazed brownish-yellow, the base is unglazed, and the rest is tin-glazed off-white; painted in manganese and copper-green.
height, whole, 20.7, cm
diameter, base, 9.2, cm
diameter, body, 11.1, cm
bequeathed; 1991-04-29; Reitlinger, Henry Scipio
Signor Avvocato Marcioni or Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli; Sotheby's, 16-17 February 1914, Catalogue of the collections of early Italian pottery formed by Signor Avvocato Marcioni and Cavaliere Capitano Lucatelli of Orvieto, part of lot 69. William Ridout; Christie's, 13 December 1938, The William Ridout collection of Italian majolica, European pottery, faience and delftware, part of lot 104 or 105; H.S. Reitlinger (d.1950); the Reitlinger Trust, Maidenhead, from which transferred in 1991.
Ridout, William; previous owner
Reitlinger, Henry Scipio; previous owner
H.S. Reitlinger Bequest, 1950; transferred from the Reitlinger Trust, 1991
inscription; on base; in pencil; '69/5' and '9'; lot number in the Marcioni-Lucatelli sale at Sotheby's on 16 February 1914
label; printed in blue and inscribed in blue-black ink; 'WILLIAM RIDOUT COLLECTION' printed in blue, 'O/68' inscribed in blue-black ink; circular with blue border; number in Ridout Collection catalogue
packing number; EURCER 890; Allocated by Wendy Rose when object left Maidenhead; 1989
Italian Maiolica in the Fitzwilliam Museum. 1995-10-03 - 1996-01-07
Organiser: The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (Cambs.), UK
Venue: The Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (Cambs.)
Notes: case 1, top, no. 18
Catalogue number: no catalogue
Honey, William Bowyer. Ridout, F. U.. 1934. A Catalogue of the Collection of Italian and other Maiolica, Mediaeval English Pottery, Dutch, Spanish and French Faïence, and other Ceramic Wares, formed by William Ridout of London and Toronto.London: p. p. 15
Publ. p. 15, O. 68
Poole, Julia E.. 1995. Italian Maiolica and Incised Slipware in the Fitzwilliam Museum Cambridge.Cambridge (Cambs.): Cambridge University Pressp. pp. 35-6
Publ. pp. 35-6, no. 52
Francovich, Riccardo. 1982. La ceramica medievale a Siena e nella Toscana meridionale (secc. XIV-XV), materiali per una tipologia, Ricerche di archaeologia altomedevale e medievale.Florence:
Cf. p. 54, fig. 47; also p. 125, A.3.1 where other ewers are cited
Spoleto. 1981. Ceramiche medioevali dell'Umbria: Assisi Orvieto Todi.Florence:
C f. p. 137, no. 76, a ewer in the Museo dell' Opera dell'Duomo, Orvieto. See also p. 96, no. 2 and p. 98, no. 7 jugs from the vault of the refectory of the Convent of San Francesco, Assisi (Umbria)
Blake, Hugo. 1980. The archaic maiolica of north-central Italy: Montalcino, Assisi and Tolentino.
Source Title: Faenza 66 1-6 ()
p. pp. 91-106
Cf. pp. 91-106, pl. XIVa & b. An example of a jug of this type, shown in a predella of the 'Marriage at Cana' from Duccio's 'Maesta', now in the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Siena. See also pl. XIId and p. 123, fig. 2.1 a jug from the vault of the loggia of the Town Hall at Montalcino (Tuscany)
Ricci Portoghesi, Lucia. Ceramiche medievale in Tuscania - nota preliminare.
Source Title: Faenza 58 3 (1972)
Cf. p. 65, design 14 and see p. 66, from Tuscania (Lazio)
Object Number: C.59-1991
(record id: 47530; input: 2002-05-10; modified: 2016-08-11)